UPDATE: A list of Passive House suitable windows available in Canada & USA – by Marken Design + Consulting
Seven years ago we started designing high performance homes in Canada including to standards such as Net Zero and Passive House. One of the biggest obstacles back then was the lack of high quality, energy efficient products we could use for those projects. Nowadays there is quite a good selection of products available in different price segments, both in the US and Canada, which are suitable for high performance building projects, including windows and doors.
Given the recent and ongoing discussion about the lack for Passive House windows, we thought this list of manufactures and dealers carrying windows that have been used (some of we have used) in ultra energy efficient projects including Passive House buildings (certified & non-certified one’s) in North America, can be useful for your next project.
Here is a selection in alphabetical order (from Europe/North America):
EUROPE: (check for different dealers in Canada and USA)
Aluproof Windows: www.aluprofusa.com/en/
Bieber Windows: http://bieberusa.com
Energate Windows: http://www.energate.com
Frako Skylights: http://www.fakro.com
Heinzman Windows: http://www.europeanwindows.com
Internorm Windows: www.neufenster.com
Intus Windows: http://www.intuswindows.com
Kawneer Windows: www.kawneer.com
Lamilux + others: www.foursevenfive.com/product-category/fenestration/
VETTA Windows: http://www.vettawindows.com/
Optiwin Windows: http://www.freisinger.at/home.html
Pazen Windows: http://www.enersign.com/home.html
Raiko Certain wall: http://www.raico.de/en/Products/THERM.php
Rekord Windows: http://www.rekord-fenster.com
Silber Windows: http://www.silberfenster.at/en/windows/
Sorpertaler Windows: http://www.sorpetalerusa.com
Schueco Windows: http://www.schueco.com/web/us
Unilux Windows: http://www.unilux.de/en/home.html
Zech Windows: http://www.zech.cc/en/mainfr.php4?m1id=24&m2id=123
Zola Windows: http://www.zolawindows.com
etc.…; contact us for additional window products or dealer contacts in your region:
Accurate Dorwin: http://www.accuratedorwin.com/windows
Alpen Windows: http://thinkalpen.com
Cascadia Windows: http://www.cascadiawindows.com
Casagrande Windows: http://www.casagrandewoodworks.com/windows.html
Duxton Windows: http://www.duxtonwindows.com
Dynamic Windows Canada (soon): contact us for details
Euroline Windows: http://www.euroline-windows.com
Fenstur Windows: www.FensturWindows.com
Fibertec Windows: http://www.fibertec.com
Hammer & Hand: http://hammerandhand.com
Innotech Windows: http://www.innotech-windows.com
Klearwall Windows: http://klearwall.com/newsite/
Marvin Windows: http://www.marvin.com
Northerm Windows: http://www.northerm.yk.ca
NZP Fenestration: http://en.nzpfenestration.com/
Paradigm Windows: http://www.paradigmwindows.com
Sage Glass (Glazing only): http://sageglass.com
Yaro Windows : http://www.yarowindows.com/
etc.…; contact us for additional window products or dealer contacts in your region: http://www.markendc.com
A few things to consider when selecting your windows:
- Ensure that it meets the building code’s fenestration standards. If you are not sure, discuss with your municipalities’ planning/building permit department. We have done projects where the window was not certified but we were still able to use it – sometimes an alternative solutions report by your envelope engineer does the trick…..
- If you are going for Passive House certification, check the window data with your certifier. Although the window does not have to be Passive House certified, the values need to be confirmed.
- Energy Performance is only one criteria you should look at – material selection, window mechanism, warranty, architectural details, acoustic performance etc. are as important. Have a look at a sample and the manufacturers /dealers support system before you decide.
- Windows are expensive but probably the most important component of your house – choose wisely.
- Check for financial incentives with your architect and Passive House consultant
If you have any questions or would like us to add your window to the list, please do not hestitate to contact us www.markendc.com.